Increased HIPAA requirements for your mental health practice could be a ticking time bomb.
HIPAA audits, violations and penalties are on the rise. And you can bet that mental health practices are on the Feds radar. And if you think providing your patients with a HIPAA privacy notice and encrypting their records takes care of it, THINK AGAIN!
The hard part is knowing specifically what you have to do to be compliant. That’s where HIPAA expert, Brian L. Tuttle, CPHIT, CHP, CHA, CBRA, can help. Brian is presenting a mental-health specific training session that will provide you with the precise steps you need to implement ensure your compliance.
Below are just a few of mental-health related privacy and security topics you need to master to be HIPAA compliant (you may be surprised at the answers):
• If the patient doesn’t give authorization, when can you communicate with family and friends?
• Do you have to release psychotherapy notes if the patient asks for them?
• Does a parent have the right to receive a copy of their child’s psychotherapy notes?
• If the Federal and State HIPAA laws contradict, which one should you follow?
• Can you release patient records, including psychotherapy notes, to insurance carriers without the patient’s specific consent?
• If the patient denies consent, can you still share patient records with another provider?
• When does mental illness or another mental condition constitute incapacity under the Privacy Rule?
• And so much more
HIPAA compliance is no easy task. Not only do you have to tackle the questions above, but you also need to manage your business associate risk, conduct a practice risk assessment, know how to respond to an audit notification, etc. In only 90 minutes, you’ll get all this and so much more.
Getting it wrong can land you in a world of HIPAA legal hot water. Don’t risk it, order this targeted training session today.
Brian L. Tuttle, CPHIT, CHP, CHA, CBRA
Brian is a Certified Professional in Health IT (CPHIT), Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP), Certified HIPAA Auditor (CHA), and Certified Business Resilience Auditor (CBRA) with over 13 years experience in Health IT and Compliance Consulting. Mr. Tuttle has worked all of those 13 years with MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions and is now IT Manager and Senior Compliance Consultant with InGauge Healthcare Solutions.